This Months Challenge

Ending 30/07/2013:
Pick a book off your shelves that you have yet to read (or that you wish to re-read) that falls into the category: Set in a completely fictional world
Example Authors: Feist, Tolkien, Terry Pratchett, David Gemmell

Thursday 28 February 2013

Review: Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

We started this month not at the start of the month, so this first one's going to be a little shorter than the rest. This challenge will end tomorrow, and a new challenge shall be posted on Saturday once I've come up with one (though it's a choice between two at this point).

Also there's a new poll up on the left hand side, just for some info, you know :)

Send me your reviews so I can post them and we can get some book recommendations going. Click the tab and use the google questionnaire. 


Title: Northern Lights
Author: Philip Pullman
How long did it take to read: 14-21 days
Rating: 10 - definitely recommend
Review: This is a book I've been recommended since I was young, but I'm glad I read it now instead of when I was 11. It's the sort of book that moves slowly to start put picks up pace very quickly. Pullman's world is fantastical and sparks my imagination in a way not many books really manage.
Lyra is brilliant. She's such a precocious little girl, with such odd knowledge hot-spots. She's brave and excitable, and the relationship between her and Pan is heart-breakingly beautiful. The friends she makes and the people she meets are just as full and real as she is. I feel I knew her after reading this book.
This book made me feel...good. In a strange way. I'm dying to read the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment